The “Faces of ECI” campaign highlights the incredible talent behind the memorable, magical branded environments that we produce for our clients.
In this installment, we’re featuring Aaron Scarlata, Account Executive for ECI.
We were able to catch up with Aaron to learn more about what motivates him professionally and inspires him daily.
1. What year did you start working for ECI?
2. What role do you play for ECI?
Account Executive with a background in Design, Build, Business Development, and Marketing.
3. Where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration in the built environments such as city and rural architecture, public parks and museums, retail stores and places where brands must promote merchandise and engage. I really find myself evaluating places as I enter them… what’s the “look and feel” doing for me physically and emotionally and is it driving me to do something. I often find errors to which I mentally or photographically note them to keep myself aware, and as reference for future project inspiration.
4. What are your secret (or not-so-secret) talents outside of the office?
I’m a passionate foodie who loves to cook. I don’t really bake…although, I love the Great British Baking Show, and Nailed-IT, Chopped and others!
I’m a practicing Landscape Designer with a specialty in waterscape architecture. In my many years, I have built over 500 water features in the country, both commercially and for residential spaces.
5. What are your top three favorite projects?
- I love LEGOs and used them to create a model Laser Engraver Engagement for a prospective client. That project included a behind the scenes tour of the client’s operations which was very cool.
- Working with LG has been a blessing. LG is a powerful brand, requiring lots of strategy planning and helping their brand navigate through the challenges of experiential learning. Now, a 3 year partner for their Air Conditioning Technologies, ECI and I have taken bite size projects, proven ourselves, and then had the honor to do their large exhibit for AHR 2018. We took LG through the ECI 4D Methodology and really shared our creative approach to deliver an amazing experience on the trade show floor.
- Another favorite was a smaller booth for Jackson Lewis. I came up with a way to play off their slogan “Make Your Move” and their graphics of chess pieces, to create a fun and insightful in-booth game: Tic-Tac-Toe using yard chess pieces, and questions on the board for their sales team to ask visitors. Despite it all taking place in a 10×10 space, ECI delivered a HUGE result for them. It was fun!
6. Your most proud moment with ECI?
I have many, but a few of them I hold dear to me. One in particular shows how vulnerable a person can be, but when you go all-in, it’s worth it. On my second day at ECI, I was told That we traditionally wear costumes for Halloween. Not knowing but a few people at ECI, and definitely timid at first, I wanted to show ECI how outgoing, caring, passionate, and how much of a team player I am. I came to work as Clifford the BIG RED DOG, in a full-on mascot size costume. One ECI employee, was like “are you the new guy?” after numerous attempts to get me to answer, I finally said yes, and her response was “you went from here to way up here” raising her hand well above her head. Giving me kudos. I was proud to have joined a fun team, gotten praise for going all-in with culture, and well on my way to making waves at ECI in a positive way.
I’m also proud of working with the LG Air Conditioning Technologies team and how we’ve grown that project from a request to design an engagement for their existing booth, to now managing their largest exhibit at AHR.
7. What is your absolute dream job?
It will still be in Design\Build, but perhaps it is working for LEGO as a LEGO Master, inspiring builders and companies around the world to include Play in their process, to constantly look at problems as a set of doors just waiting to be open, and to surround myself with a mix of younger to adults eager to design, build and problem solve together.
8. If you had a superpower, what would it be and why?
Flying. Once you get a taste of being high enough to see, but low enough to be grounded in life, you see so much 😉
9. What’s your spirit animal and why?
My spirit animal is probably a water dog or some sort of hunting dog. I love the outdoors, investigating, finding unique treasures amid the “weeds” in life, and I balance my life with introvert and extrovert personality traits.
10. What food can you not live without?
BBQ- always enjoy the blend of sweet and savory (anything).
11. What is your greatest fear?
Drowning- which is odd, because I love water, swimming, and am a great swimmer.
12. Most used emoji?
Winking smiley face 😉 it’s the best was to say “got it”, “I understand”, yet provocative sometimes in a sense it says, “oh…yah?”
13. What is one WOW moment you’ve experience at ECI that you’ll never forget?
When ECI stepped up after the 2019 Memorial Day Tornadoes that hit the Dayton area last year. Team members, regardless of seniority, went to colleagues homes to help with clean up. Others brought in goods and essentials for their peers that were hit hard. ECI has been ranked as a Best Places to Work and it’s clear why.